Thursday, March 24, 2011

HAMburger

I see cows on a daily basis. Which led me to ponder the thought, why in the world are they called hamburgers if they are mostly made of beef? I am aware that you can make these delicious patties by other sources of meat, but my thoughts were if they are made from beef, you still call me the hamburgers..

So I did some research. I turned to my trusty Bing search tab and low and behold, wikipedia turned up, yet again, an amazing truth. Ahm.

"The term hamburger originally derives from Hamburg,[2] Germany's second largest city, from where many emigrated to America. In high German, "Burg" means fortified settlement or fortified refuge; and is a widespread component of placenames. Hamburger can be a descriptive noun in German, referring to someone from Hamburg (compare London -> Londoner) or an adjective describing something from Hamburg. Similarly, frankfurter and wiener, names for other meat-based foods, are also used in German as descriptive nouns for people and as adjectives for things from the cities of Frankfurt and Wien (Vienna), respectively. The term "burger" is associated with many different types of sandwiches similar to a hamburger"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger

Then I saw some Llamas..but maybe they are Alpacas? Which one spits more. Maybe they both spit the same distance or maybe Llamas and Alpacas are the exact same freaking thing. If not, which one has the better wool? Wonder if Llama milk is just as tasty as cow milk...or if you can make Alpacaburgers...because apparently you can call hamburgers, hamburgers even if they aren't made out of ham.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your wise knowledge!! I knew you would get to the bottom of it.

    ReplyDelete